Friday, May 7, 2010

Nurses Day Celebration

Today was the famous Nurses Appreciation Day. I guess last year the BYU students were asked to perform so they had a girl play the piano and they all sang the song “The Healer’s Art”. However, they didn’t know it wasn’t a formal affair….and it was actually supposed to be comedic. The next act was the Taiwanese nurses dressed up in barely nothing doing a pole dance! Ha ha So…..they didn’t invite us to perform this year (because I think they were embarrassed for us). Here is the invitation they gave us (you've gotta love English translations...ha ha) The program was an absolute blast! Asians are CRAZY. They’re so loud and just flat out insane all the time. I wish awards ceremonies were like this in the U.S. We’re so boring in America. Here’s a video of one of the acts.
We were still the stars of the show even though we weren’t performing. They were So excited to have us there and they kept the video camera on us the entire time and kept referring to us. They had us come up to award our preceptors certificates. They also asked Jim (our instructor) to introduce each one of us! When he got to me he just paused and made a really weird face and just sat there. It was so awkward because we didn’t know what he was doing. The entire auditorium sat there in silence staring at me…….finally we had to tap Jim and he just started crackin up and EVERYONE sat there laughing at us. He forgot my name! I guess he totally blanked when he got to me. It doesn’t sound that funny when you read this…..you had to be there…but trust me it was hilarious. Especially because he knows me super well and we had NO idea what he was doing. Awkward. Here is Jim with a bunch of the nurses. They loooooove him!

Anyways, afterwards we all went out for some lunch and Cua Bing. Here's a picture of this adorable kid that kept "shooting at me" while we were ordering lunch.
Then we booked our flights for HONG KONG! We’ll be going right before we come home to America. Also I already mentioned that we’re staying at a white sand beach resort next weekend and this guy that Jim knows was going to rent a van and pick us all up and take us down there. For some reason he couldn’t get the company to do it so he gathered up a bunch of friends and they’re bringing three cars up to come pick us up! It’s like a four hour drive!!! It’s so generous of them!
Tonight all of the girls wanted to stay in…..again……but Sophia and I wanted to go out….so we did J We decided to just walk around and explore shops. We found so many fun things!! We found adorable little shops with all kinds of trinkets. We also found an aquarium with craaaaaaazy fish! And cute little baby turtles. I wanted one so bad. I contemplated buying one and sneaking it on the plane….but I guess there’s a really huge fine if they find out. So I resisted. We then walked around to find some dinner and we stopped at this place with an adorable man. We saw him cooking something so we just pointed at random vegetables, noodles, and meat and hoped that it would be good! They sat us down, brought a fan to us, and pulled out our chairs for us (literally catering to us even though there were like 5 other people there!). They then brought out a dish of noodles with a bunch of stuff in it and it was delicious. They sat next to us waiting for our reaction and they were so excited when we liked it! Ha ha It was also funny because there was a table of guys around our age next to us. They kept getting our attention, pointing at us, and waving. We couldn’t talk to them at all so we just kind of ignored them. When we were about done they came over with little shot glasses of alcohol and offered to cheer with us! We tried to motion that we don’t drink alcohol but they didn’t understand at all. (EVERYONE drinks here) They just kept offering it because they didn’t understand that we don’t drink it so we finally just had to walk away. That's one nice thing about not being able to speak the language...guys can't hit on you! :)
On our way back to our apartment we passed my baseball friends restaurant (the one I blogged about earlier) and he was outside. He waved me down so I talked to him for a bit (well played charades more like it) and I guess he saw us on the jumbotron at the game on t.v. We were on national television throughout the entire game! Ha ha

1 comment:

  1. hahaha sar that translation is hilarious. my favorite line was " we are prepared more than you can image" lol. it reminds me of signs i saw on my mission. And you really should still consider the turtle thing. i may cover the fine ;)

    ReplyDelete